Why Ramayana Remixed?

Surprisingly, I asked myself that question quite a few times before I took the course. Its an one of the oldest Indian epics, there ha...


Surprisingly, I asked myself that question quite a few times before I took the course. Its an one of the oldest Indian epics, there have been wars over it, there are way too many versions of it for one to even keep track and basically I thought it was over done. And it is. 

But I guess, thats the challenge. Because its so overdone. Also, we have the freedom to view all its versions and interpretations and make an opinion for ourselves. It can also lead us in the completely opposite direction, but I'm hoping it won't.  

I read the abridged children's version of the Ramayana a few times as a child and I know it very well because of that. But I thought it was a regular story, like the other ones based on mythology. It seemed very simple, but now Im seeing it in an entirely new light very often. As a story, it has everything to keep a reader or even an audience occupied. Theres love, tragedy, drama, predictable but exciting plot, and well, pretty much a happy ending. Also because there are so many characters and events, we as a  production can fit it in so many different modern day contexts. 

Im curious to know what we will bring to the Ramayana in the form we are using and issues we are addressing. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments