Why Ramayana Remix?

(The above picture is an illustration from my visual journal.) WHY RAMAYANA REMIX?  Because its truly 'epic'. Because we...



(The above picture is an illustration from my visual journal.)

WHY RAMAYANA REMIX? 

Because its truly 'epic'. Because we're going to work for a 'cause' that has been existing in our society since time immemorial ( we just tended to ignore it all the time ).

Because there are a million Sitas who are dying to be heard, dying to tell their Sitayana.
(Yes, I'm quite fascinated by this word ever since I've read it in one of the articles about the Ramayana.)

Because I believe that just by burning the effigies of Ravana and his brothers every year and enjoying fireworks, we wouldn't gain 'victory of the good over evil.'  ( We have always been taught that burning the supposedly bad guy and praying to the supposedly good couple, problem is/was solved.)

Because everyone likes remixes. Remixes are fun! and most of our generation connects more to remixes than the original story.
The Ramayana can easily be connected to our daily lives and that generationssssss of leap is what makes the 'remix'.

Lastly, because I personally believe that a performing art form (specially when it is something as interesting as shadow theatre) can do wonders if you really want it to. And through Ramayana Remix I wish to give my contribution in achieving that wonder.

So now if you again ask me why Ramayana Remix?
I am simply going to say "Why not?".

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Yes so true thank you Simran for your post here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you, you have framed this so well. i like the part where you have mentioned about ravanas burning. In a male dominated society like ours it is very important to spread awareness and more than that to make people realise that the way women are treated is totally unethical and not forgivable.
    I feel festivals have just become a time to celebrate and have fun... people have forgotten what it stand for, the essence of the festival and the message it carries.

    ReplyDelete