Gender defining me through time

I think gender is one of our most defining traits, tells us we need to wear skirts in school uniforms, wax when we have hair, makes us...

I think gender is one of our most defining traits, tells us we need to wear skirts in school uniforms, wax when we have hair, makes us feel privileged as well as victimised in different situations. And because of who we are we have different things thrown at us and we adapt to situations where we're leched at or expected to behave in certain ways.
For me the most basic was my gender has shaped me is the way I look and dress over the years and have changed how I dress based on responses I expect from society. Whether it's short hair for my younger years or heels for balls and dances.
Kusha

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Is it really common for girls to be required to have short hair when they're young?
    I've seen a lot of girls having short hair when they are young and it makes me wonder who decided at what age girls ought to grow their hair long and why not just from the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could give you my example:
    Till the age of twelve I had a very short hair, it was almost forced by my mother.
    Her reasons being very simple-
    >The more you cut your hair, it becomes better and thicker.
    >It is easy to manage. Or else she is the one who will have trouble tying my hair, early morning, before going to the school.

    But by the age thirteen, I wanted long hair.
    Because by the time, I started thinking that long hair looks 'prettier', obviously.
    Also, by then I had the courage to argue a little with my mother.

    But surprisingly, from the beginning my Dad was against my short hair.
    And now, my mother is against my- Not Very Long Hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that pretty much sums it up. And I think most of us do have this sentiment of growing out our hair once we reach a certain age because we think it looks prettier.

    ReplyDelete